Friday, October 31, 2008

Wireless Internet in India

I'm in Kerala. Internet comes via a Wireless USB Modem. Specifically 'TATA Indicom CDMA 1x USB MODEM'.

To get it up and running, I just needed to 'gedit /etc/wvdial.conf', change it thus (I got this from someone else's blog!):
[Dialer Defaults]
Init = ATZ

[Dialer TATA]
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Modem Type = USB Modem
+FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Baud = 460800
Phone = #777
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = AT+CRM=1
Username = internet
Password = internet
stupid mode = 1
Linux sees my modem on ttyACM0 - yours may differ.

Now do 'sudo wvdial TATA'

Presto, Internet! It's a bit scrappy - it would be nice to have a flashy internet icon in the tray instead of an ugly terminal. So I installed gnome-ppp. Filling out the boxes with the above info (didn't need all of it), it runs perfectly*!

(*might need a restart)

No comments: